This CPA webinar brings together a panel of political and industry leaders to discuss the City of London’s economic recovery from Covid-19.
Elaine Rossall, Head of UK Offices Research at JLL, presents a market update and contextualises the challenges of Covid-19 against previous economic downturns. Updating viewers on commercial development, demand for space and investment in the City of London, Elaine notes:
- 56% of all demand for space in Central London is for the Central City Core
- The timescales for delivering the City’s development pipeline is expected to be delayed by approximately 3-6 months
- Interest from overseas buyers is increasing as lockdown eases
- London remains no.1 in the Global Real Estate Transparency Index 2020
Following this market update, our panel reflect on the pandemic’s impact on the City and slow return of large numbers of office staff upon which an entire eco system and 24,000 jobs in retail, leisure and culture rely. The panel discuss the barriers currently preventing staff from returning in greater numbers and the measures required at local and national Government, as well as by individual companies, to provide the confidence and reassurance to support a return to the City.
- Lisa Webb, CPA Board; Senior Planning Partner at Gerald Eve (Discussion Chair)
- Dan Burn, CPA Board; Lead Director – Central London Markets at JLL
- Alastair Moss, Chair of Planning & Transportation Committee at City of London Corporation
- Mike Taylor, Co-head of Corporate and Workplace Solutions and head of real estate for EMEA at Goldman Sachs